A Brief Overview



I was very pleased to learn this week that my one-act play ‘Carbon-Based Life Form Seeks Similar’ had been selected for this year’s Notes From The Underground festival, produced by New York’s Curan Repertory Company.

I had another play of mine (‘Public Relations’) in the same festival a couple of years ago, and everyone at Curan Rep, especially Artistic Director Ken Terrell, was great to work with. ‘Carbon-Based Life Form Seeks Similar’ is essentially a brief meditation on the question of whether it’s still possible to be loved for who you are, or if ‘being yourself’ has become something of a liability in the digital age.

On a related note, there are many days I need reminding that I’m actually made of skin cells, not pixels. I’m convinced it won’t be long before official forms ask you to fill out your age, height, weight, and dpi.

(I'm 72 dpi on a good day, by the way, though after Christmas and times like that...forget about it!)

I was also happy to learn this week that my one-act play ‘The Skewed Picture’ was selected by the Hovey Players, in Waltham, Massachusetts, for their Summer Shorts Play Festival. This little play seems to be taking on a life of its own, and would appear to bode well for the longtime prospects of my one-act anthology ‘The Meta Plays’, from which it is taken.

All good news, and especially welcome coming on the heels, as it did, of my being laid low with a quick but nasty bout of the flu last weekend. So much for this year’s flu shot. I got a dose of it after I got the shot, and now this episode. Frankly, I’m beginning to wonder if my shot wasn’t watered down in some black market conspiracy, à la Orson Welles in ‘The Third Man’.

Which brings me back full circle, as if I were viewed from the top of a Ferris wheel, I would indeed be one of those dots he speaks of.

Comments

  1. Fantastic! Congratulations on your plays being selected for the festivals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Helen! I'm so glad World Book Night was such a great success!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing Mania!

A Rebel Among the Wretched

A Mouth Full of Ashes