Happy World Theatre Day! (?)

Yes, today is March 27th, the occasion of World Theatre Day. Apparently, this annual day of celebration for all things theatre is quite popular and revered in some parts of the world, but not, it would seem, well...in these parts. Let's be honest here, anyone outside of the theatre business is unlikely to have a clue that this event actually exists, and even if they did, probably wouldn't give a flying toss about it anyway. But exist it does, and I've been racking my brain to come up with an appropriate way of marking the event myself. I haven't been very successful.

The problem is, I'm not entirely sure what it is that I'm supposed to be celebrating. Is it myself, in as much as I'm a part of "world theatre"? If so, it feels slightly awkward, rather like singing "Happy Birthday" to yourself. Or is it the general concept of theatre itself that we're supposed to honor? And if that's the case, how does one honor a concept? Conceptually, I suppose, but frankly, I don't know how to do that.

Ultimately, I think that World Theatre Day is rather like a night at the theatre itself: participated in by few, but loved and revered by those that do; something ephemeral and intangible that, once over, disappears into the ether, never to be repeated in quite the same way again. There, wasn't that nice?

And now that I think of it, I'd say I've honored it simply by blogging about it.

Job done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing Mania!

A Rebel Among the Wretched

Opening Night for "The Craft"